Friday, August 15, 2014

TODAY IS NATIONAL CHECK THE CHIP DAY!

 Shiloh-Lord of the Manor here along with 
Diva Shasta.
We wanted tue stop in an'say
a bit B-4 our mom takez over the blog tue-day.
Oh an'don't worry - we will return tue 
our guest blogger postz next Friday.
When mom d-sided that we shood join her at
the Beaglebratz manor
(not in the same year)
She did not wait til we were "fixed" b-4
gittin'us 'chipped cuz
we gotz "fixed" a few monthz later.
Can't r'member x-actly when it wuz dun BUTT
she had dun her research'boutz us Beaglez
an'knew that we had sum of that 
"wanderin'eye" or az she often heard-
"a noze on 4 pawz". 
An'evenchually, it wuz I,
Shiloh-Lord of the Manor who
wood prove just how true this wuz az
I showed mom time agin an'agin that 
I wuz NOT gonna b kept in by a fence when
there wuz a nommy smell on the other side-
wherever that mite take me 
(an'mom'n aunt sis'n hoo-cuzin Kyle'n ... )


An'now I am gonna turn our blog over tue our mom.
++++++++++++++++
Thank you Shiloh.

Ok - I'm just going to give a little info-  
what does this mean "Check the Chip"?

No doubt - proven time and time again - to microchip your pet is a really smart move - and yes, kitties need to be microchipped just as much as dogs, maybe even more since many owners let their cats wander.  The American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Animal Hospital Association have combined forces to bring you

When I got Shiloh, I was new to the Beagle world.  I had found him at a small local breeder, visited and chose the puppy I wanted from the litter - he was still too young to leave yet and I had to wait almost three weeks before I could bring him home.  So, even tho he was not with me yet physically, I still wanted to learn all I could about Beagles BEFORE Shiloh came home.  So I started reading whatever I could find on Beagles - books and online, talking to other Beagle owners and joining a couple of online Beagle groups.

A NOSE ON 4 PAWS - this was a term I heard  about Beagles no matter where I looked.  I also heard that having him microchipped was pretty much the best way to guarantee he would come back to me if ever lost or stolen - even tho I grew up around dogs and had previously owned a couple, none had ever been microchipped - until Shiloh.  When Diva Shasta joined us a few years later, she too was microchipped.

NOW TO THE PRESENT DAY - Obviously to many pet owners, "Check the Chip" means to scan that microchip annually.  Why do we want to do this?  I have  a confession to make - I, Mom Kim, had never heard or seen this term before (I think it would be of great service for your vet to automatically recommend having this done at the annual check-up, any vet I have been to has not).  No one had ever said to me - are your dogs 'chipped and have you checked it lately?  Now I knew the microchip can migrate - can move out of place but for some weird reason, I had not given it any thought as to having that microchip checked - UNTIL NOW!  Now, I will be having that 'chip scanned as soon as I can get to my vet.  HOWEVER the process does not stop with that.  Once those numbers are revealed to me then I want to enter them on the Universal Pet Microchip Lookup Tool.  Then when the name(s) of the microchip companies are obtained I will need to contact them to verify current information regarding my dogs.  By accessing the AVMA's Check the Chip event page, I found out that Shiloh's chip company(Avid) does not participate in the Universal Microchip Lookup tool - Diva Shasta is with Home Again (microchip done by 2 different vets).  (Avid has a separate website/lookup method and once I have Shiloh's number then will verify info there.)  By keeping this contact information up-to-date, I further guarantee that the Beaglebratz will be returned to me should they become lost or stolen.  So glad the weekend is almost here - I've got some work to do to Check the Chip for the Beaglebratz.

Here is a link to Check the Chip on Facebook

Press Release from PRWEB about Check the Chip Day! 

Mom Kim
Diva Shasta'n Shiloh-Lord of the Manor







6 comments:

Golden Daily Scoop said...

Great reminder! We are headed to the vets in a couple weeks and will have ours checked out then! Thanks for sharing.

C.L.W.STEP said...

Good idea. I don't know why we've never done this. We'll have to ask the vet next time. Thanks for reminding us!

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

Good post and a great reminder

Unknown said...

That is one of the things on our list to do thanks to Safety Week. Must get a wiggle on and get it sorted.
Have a super Saturday.
Best wishes Molly

Unknown said...

I is micro chipped, all paws should be safe. Luv's Cat Flap Cavalier X

The Army of Four said...

What a great reminder, you guys! We are chipped - and mom checked to make sure our info was up-to-date!
Cammie!
PS: Congrats for being featured on Molly's blog!