Saturday, April 9, 2011

Quick update on Shasta from mom ...

Well, another urinalysis this morning showed the same as the last one two weeks ago - no color-no concentrated urine - clear as the water Shasta drank - NOT suppose to be that way.  Next step - complete blood panel workup also this morning - Shasta now has a shaved area on each side of her neck because the test had to be done twice due to the blood not coagulating the way it should on the first blood draw

We had to leave the vet office before the results were ready so I called after we got home - everything looked fine, kidneys are good, so far no signs of Cushings.  He did say there could be something else going on - he is sure there is a medical problem.  He is going to check on Diabetes Insipidus - he said there was nothing to indicate Sugar Diabetes.  After the first urinalysis, he did ask me if Shasta had a tendency to be a nervous dog - he said that and stress could cause the problem with her urine.  But even after I confirmed that yes indeed, Shasta did have problems with being nervous at times - the vet was still sure she had a medical problem.

Back to today - after we left the vet office, we stopped at Petco to pick up some dog food plus I just wanted Shasta exposed to that environment - since I have been watching her more, it kind of seems like either I am picking up on her nervousness more or she is showing more; she seemed almost fearful - walking with her tail tucked - when strangers approached she kind of hung back at first but shortly would slowly and cautiously approached, tail wagging questionably.  And yes, I do think she does get stressed easily altho she does overcome it quickly. 

So, I am wondering, maybe leaning towards this being a behavior issue and MAYBE NOT a medical issue so much.  The vet is suppose to call me later this week after he does more checking on all this.   I have had vets before who were doing things only to increase the fee - I do REALLY hope that is NOT the case here but I don't want Shasta to have a medical issue either.  In the meantime, we will start getting back out for more walks, maybe the dog park or just walks in the park, going to Petco and/or Petsmart and doing anything else (with no or very little expense) that I can do to get Shasta calmed down (including putting my own behavior under a microscope to see if there is something I am doing to contribute to this - I know there could be a link).

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings.
Kim

9 comments:

JacksDad said...

Wr will hope for the best for you!

Sapphire said...

poor shasta. let's hope its not any serious medical issue. give some loves to shasta... and shiloh too :)

Anonymous said...

Goodness! So sorry Shasta is not feeling herself :( Can be so difficult to determine what causes things in doggies. Wish I believed that the dog psychics really are able to hear them :s That would be helpful! Hope you and/or your vet figure it out soon!

(((HUGS))) to all of you,
Roo

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Well now, I think you might have a bit of a mystery on your paws.

We did have a dachshund that had diabetes. We discovered it through the clear urine deal. But that seems to have been ruled out with Shasta already.

Keep us posted.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Don't you just hate it when you know something is wrong and they can't find it quickly? Maybe a few more tests can help find an answer for Shasta. Paws crossed for her and you.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Two French Bulldogs said...

We will keep our paws crossed the problem will be figured out
Benny & Lily

K9 Katastrophie said...

You are doing a great job of taking care of Shasta! We are praying for her recovery!

Licks,
Ruthie

Piappies World said...

We hope that Shasta will be ok. We have our paws crossed for her.

Love,
Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & Forgie

Oskar said...

I hope it gets worked out quickly. I know Oskar picks up on all of my anxieties, I always feel so bad.

Good luck,
Pam, Oskar's mom person