Friday, March 16, 2012

Shiloh - and our vet - 2nd post today

Earlier today I called our vet who told me to just go ahead and give him one of our aspirins, 3 times/day – it’s like a baby aspirin (Shiloh is not on any other meds but the minute I see any signs of problems, I’ll be on the phone to the vet) for the weekend and make sure Shiloh doesn’t jump up on anything.  Last nite we all slept downstairs – me & Shasta on the couch – Shiloh wanted up but I made him lay on the floor.  I described what happened by the fence last evening and like me, thinking it is some kind of a strain or it could be a flare-up of his Intervertebral Disk Disease so basically it is going to be a weekend of a wait and see situation.  Didn’t really have any other plans anyway except to get a couple prescriptions (for me) and a few groceries – Wallyworld, here I come.

Later in the evening - ok, Shiloh has truly made me feel so much better.  First, when I got home from work, he was sitting in his crate - waiting for me to let him out.  Most of the time when he is outside, he is starting to move easier - a more fluid movement altho when he is done outside, it is like he catches something in his leg like a nerve or something and he doesn't want to move anymore but there is no way I could carry him and besides, if I get close to him then he moves away.  Still no problem with eating however I haven't seen him drink much.  So I did go ahead and gave him one of those aspirins. After he walked over and laid down on their bed.  I hadn't been feeling to good about his condition but that soon changed - I finally took the water dish to him but still he didn't drink. I dipped my fingers in the water then ran them over his muzzle - he started licking my fingers so I tipped the bowl a little so he could get to it easier - that was all the invite he needed.  Even tho he didn't get the aspirin until about 6:30p - I wonder if the combination of having way more water plus the aspirin really helped. And back outside he went, freer movement as he walked the perimeter of the yard. but evidently as he was walking back towards the  house, he decided that was enough or something happened because he stopped.  Eventually, after I walked behind him, he started back up and that is the only time he cries out and even then it doesn't last.  So I am hoping and praying that the worst is over and by the end of the weekend - I don't look for complete improvement but definitely significant, maybe 75 to 80%.


Ok - that is where things stand now.  We all will be watching and rooting for our KU Jayhawks play in the NCAA tourny tonite - they have been given a #2 seed spot and many top teams have already fallen so we will see what happens by 11:30  - game starts about 9.  Shasta doesn't quite understand why her big bro cries out like he does and she wants him to play but he ain't budging on that.
Will try to check in this weekend sometime.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Hugs to Shiloh!

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

We're so sorry to hear about Shiloh's ouchie! Hope it's temporary and the vet can give him some really good pain meds to help him through this. We'll keep our paws crossed for him - and for Seamus.

Abby is part beagle and is a world champion digger. Mama had to line the inside of the fence with cinder blocks held down by steel rebar to keep her from digging out. Maybe your mom could Shiloh-proof your yard?

Jed & Abby

HH and The Boys said...

Sure hope Shiloh feels better soon.

pawhugs, max

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I am so very much glad that you are feeling better now Shiloh.

WHEW!!!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Happy to hear you feel a little better Shiloh
Benny & Lily

K9 Katastrophie said...

Still praying for you!!

Licks,
Ruthie

Scooter said...

Hey Shiloh!
Wow, I'm so glad to hear you are feeling a little better! Power of the paw does wonders. Please continue to take it easy and I'll continue to send those healing vibes.
Grr and O'Woof,
Sarge, COP

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

We're still keeping our paws crossed over here. Having had weenie dogs in the past with disc disease, we know how painful that can be. Hope he's all better by tomorrow. Get lots of rest, Shiloh!