Thursday, October 20, 2011


Still waiting but there is now a bit of change in what I am waiting for.  First I was waiting to see if all the problems healed on their own and at first it looked as though they woul-
the fungal infection cleared in less than two weeks and on September 26 when I saw my local eye doc, the epithelial defect (skin tear on the cornea) had healed over - all that remained was a haze that covered the cornea so the wait continued to see if that would clear.  At this time after the defect had healed it was decided to not use the bandage contact lense I was wearing to promote healing of the defect - this proved to be a BIG mistake and lengthened the healing time.  Two weeks after the defect was healed and while waiting for the haze to clear, the defect returned - that was last Tuesday, October 11.  So the chances of a cornea transplant are now real - the hope (by the docs) that there was a chance of everything healing on its own and  not needing another transplant pretty much ended when the defect returned.   As for me, not sure where my hope lies - I would still love for EVERYTHING to heal by itself however I just want all of this to be OVER!!!    So earlier today I went bak to my local doc and once again the defect has started to heal again.  My local doc did make a statement  - sort of a question - something about maybe leaving the contact lense in AFTER the defect is healed,since it has been proven that as long as the contact is in, the chances of the defect coming bak are almost 0 (I remember when the defect was healed last month and that contact was left out as soon as it was healed, I was wondering then if maybe the lense should be left IN - looks like I was rite - I wish I had said something then).  

Ok - so now it is definitely looking as tho I am now waiting for the defect to heal - once that is healed then I really hope there will be no more waiting before the cornea transplant.  Even then, with the time it will likely take for the defect to heal, at least another 2 to 3 weeks then assuming I can have the transplant at that time (assuming is not a good thing to do so I will pray for that instead) then another month to heal before I can return to work  (that much time is not usually needed to recover from a NORMAL cornea transplant but as we all know, I don't do normal - as with my last transplant, the doc will likely add a layer of stem cells which enhances healing - this also adds to the length of the usual time for healing).  So it will likely and hopefully be mid-December before I get bak to work.  I do know that I will be strongly urging the specialist to do the transplant ASAP after the defect is healed.  I already know that the transplant will not be done if there is any sign of ACTIVE DISEASE - plus it will not be done as long as there is a defect which allows any fungal or bacterial disease set in - in other words, the defect would allow the onset of active disease.  So, here I sit and wait, try not to freeze - down to 29 last nite - still trying to convince the Beaglebratz that the bed is mine - lost cause. 
Gotta go for now  - dogs need to go out and I have eye meds to use that REALLY mess up my vision and it is a good time for bed - IF I can find room for me.  Will keep you allposted onn the latest when it happens as I can.
Kim, Shiloh'n Shasta



Two French Bulldogs said...

we will keep our paws crossed the meds work
Benny & Lily

Kari in Alaska said...

We are hoping the meds works

Stop on by for a visit

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Dearest Bestest Furend Miss KIM and Shasta and Shiloh,
I am so very VERY much thrilled to hear from you.. I have thought of you about 87 times in the last week.
You KNOW that I have my Paws VERY VERY tightly crossed for this to ALL work out.. and fur you to be able to get back to work and fur S. & S. to be able to blog with us again.
You will not believe how much I miss your HUMOR and PAWSitive comments for everybuddy.
Much Love and MANY MANY healing